Friday, August 12, 2016

That's Vanilla-bean-scone-tastic!!!

So none of us like to leave the house looking less than our best.  It seems like that's when we run into every single person we know, or want to know, or end up on tv... But it turns out that every once in awhile, when you find yourself out and about despite your raggedy appearance, it can really pay off.

The last few days I've been feeling pretty blah.  Headaches and insomnia have been uninvited guests that are free to move on at any moment (no seriously, go away!!)  Every time someone mentioned leaving the house (ok, my bed) my response was pretty much: 😒.  But I had to pull it together and take my nephew home this evening.  So I brushed my teeth, exerting the most minimal grooming effort possible- while averting my eyes so the mirror couldn't remind me about the hair situation, lack of makeup, or the weary expression reflected there, and headed out.  On the way home, my presumptuous car just drove itself over to Starbucks, and after I got over the utter surprise, I decided, what the hey- I needed a pick-me-up anyway...

As I pulled up to the talky box (yes, that IS an official term, just not everyone knows it!  Now you do, so you're welcome.) I ordered my coffee frap and, with much anticipation and hope, asked if they had any vanilla bean scones.  I love these.  So naturally, they almost never have them.  And predictably, disappointment ebbed out of the talky box, "No, I'm sorry, we don't."  I confirmed it would be just the coffee then and pulled around to the window.

The barista at the window slid open the panel of glass and automatically asked me how I was doing today.  Then she glanced up and said, "Oh, you look tired."  I confirmed that looks aren't always deceiving, then turned the conversation back to more important matters: "Do you guys ever have any of these scones left at the end of the day?  I'm guessing you don't since most of the time you're out when I come by.  I'm so sad..."

And she paused, pity in her eyes for this literal Raggedy Ann, then told me that she couldn't make any promises, but she would go check in the back for me.  I tried not to get too excited.  And yes, I realize this is sounding pretty sad, but I mean... vanilla bean scones, people.  So as the seconds ticked by, I tried to distract myself by opening Pokemon Go (the parking lot with SIX pokestops is just across the street!) with a little success, when suddenly she reappeared at the window.  

"I have good news and better news," she joyfully exclaimed, holding up a box filled with vanilla bean scones.  The good news was that this box was in the back.  The BETTER news was that it was filled with day old scones- the ones they donate or allow employees to take home to friends and family.  And then this barista, the most AWESOMEST barista IN THE WORLD, held them out to me, offering me the entire box for free.  It might have been a reflection from the tear in my eye, but as I drove away, I could swear a saw a little glow above her head where a halo would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment